Don't Practice Law

Short Takes

Fifty students attending a debate on the topic "Should I go to law school?" last night listened to a student argument for the negative from none other than Law School Dean of Admissions Molly T. Getaghty.

Geraghty argued that attorneys have calects which are too intense and not very productive.

I can only share with you my experience...lawyers do other people's work," she said. "It's someone else's real comes you're trying to will, comeone else's pichie factory you're dealing with."

Geraghty said that a lawyer may become frustrated because he is "not a productive member of capitalist society... You're doing something that's enormously derivative." She said her biggest reservation with the legal profession is that it places too much emphasis on the "adversary process." "It puts a premium on people who are aggressive, competitive, striving," she added.

Seven Quincy House pre-law tutors took the affirmative side, arguing that a law degree was an excellent way to a number of career options. Said Jeffrey A. Stein. "I figured, what the heck? After I get out, if I don't like being a lawyer, I'll go to med school."

Another tutor, Robert Boone, said that "law school is a good place to refine one's thinking and writing."

Role Reversal

In her rebuttal, Geraghty surprisingly began to speak in favor of law school by extolling a number of its virtues, including the .