Netmen Win Both Doubles and Singles, Submerge Midshipmen Forces, 9-0

By Carla D. Williams

In its first contest since its spring recess California tour, the Harvard men's tennis team disposed of every Navy singles and doubles player, submerging the Midshipmen on their own battle ground, 9-0.

The victory moved the season record to a 5-3 standing, while adding another loss to an almost perfect Navy season (8-2).

Number one and two seeds All-American Howard Sands and fellow senior Warren Grossman put in aggressive performances for the Crimson in both singles and doubles play "Sands played really well, of course he's played well before so it's really not that unusual." Harvard Coach Dave Fish said "Warren got more aggressive each day of our spring trip and they did extremely well yesterday," he added.

Inconvenienced by fog and showers at Annapolis, the Crimson moved indoors to play in the Midshipmen's large athletic facility. The courts were made of a much slower surface than those the Crimson has become accustomed to. If the visitors were uncomfortable, the results certainly didn't show it.

Sands defeated Navy's Bayly Taff, 6-0, 6-2. Grossman also took his match, sinking John Dace in two sets, 6-3, 6-2. Of six singles matches played, only sophomore Dave Beckman went to three sets, finally displaying Darryl Mountford, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"Everyone played strong matches." Fish remarked "Beckman got down 4-1 in the third set, which may be he shouldn't have done, but he was able to come back." Beckman and Sands later downed Mountford and Taff again in doubles play.

Freshman Larry Scott also gave a strong performance, beating Navy's number five player, 7-5, 6-2. Scott, the only freshman on the varsity squad, plays fifth singles and third doubles. He paired with Ken Kleinfeld to beat Franz Wagner and Mark Alezizos, in a tough extra-point contest, 7-5, 7-6.

Damn the Torpedoes

Navy had already earned an 8-1 record by downing Washington-area teams. Though the Midshipmen had little trouble with most of their competitors. Dartmouth gave them a tough match, but Navy managed to pull it out 5-4.

Harvard plays Dartmouth on Friday and doesn't expect the Big Green to be as strong as Navy. As Fish sees it, the challenge for the Crimson will be to play consistent tennis without lapses in concentration against a weaker competitor. He worries Harvard will be less prepared against tougher teams later in the season if it lets down against Dartmouth.

"They're a good team." Fish said, "and they are beginning to know how good they are."