Women's Lacrosse Notebook

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

The Harvard women's lacrosse squad meets Northwestern at 3 p.m. tomorrow in the Stadium in opening-round action of the 1983 NCAA tournament.

The 12-team tourney begins across the Eastern seaboard this week, with four games on the slate. The tournament's top four seeds--Temple, Penn State, Maryland and the University of Massachusetts--have all received first-round byes.

The winner of Wednesday's Harvard-Northwestern game will advance to the NCAA quarterfinals and a Saturday showdown with UMass. That game is tentatively scheduled for 2 p.m. in Amherst. The tourney's semifinals and finals will be held the weekend of May 21-22 at the University of Pennsylvania.

Riding a seven game winning streak and holders of an impressive 11-3-1 record, the Crimson will face a Northwestern squad that snatched an 11-2 record this year in only its second year on the varsity level.

Admission to Wednesday's showdown is $2 with student ID.

******

While the Crimson and Wildcats tangle here tomorrow. Dartmouth will play at Princeton. Loyola of Baltimore will be at Penn while William & Mary meets Delaware in the tourney's three other first-round match-ups. All winners will move on to Saturday's quarterfinals.

******

The Crimson's senior attacker Francesca DenHartog was named Ivy League Player of the Week yesterday, thanks largely to her outstanding play in last week's league championship triumph over Dartmouth.

DenHartog paced the Crimson to its 22-8 title win last week by adding eight goals and two assists. Then just two days later, the Weston. Mass native and last year's Ivy League Player of the Year, added four goals in Harvard's 9-3 season ending drubbing of the University of New Hampshire.