Softball

Sports Wrap

The Harvard women's softball team travelled to New Haven Saturday to play the remaining half of the rescheduled Ivy League tournament, but couldn't improve its 1-2 record from the previous weekend. The Crimson dropped all three games to finish tied for fast in the Ivys with Dartmouth.

The batwomen had been counting on a strong showing in the second half of the tournament, but quickly found themselves in a pitching duel with defending champion Brown.

The score remained tied 1-1 at the end of the regulation seven innings as neither Harvard pitcher Gerri Rubin or Bruin righthander Janet Dickerman allowed the other side more than five hits. Harvard eventually exploded for two runs in the top of the eight on bases loaded singles by Ann Wilson and Cindy Phillips.

However, Brown countered the Crimson runs with two of their own to send the game into a second extra inning. In the top of the ninth Dickerman held the Crimson scoreless while in the bottom of the inning the Bruins pounded Rubin for two hits until Rachel Blumenfeld's single through the pulled Harvard infield ended the game.

The loss was the third extra-innings defeat for the Crimson in the tournament and the disheartened Cantabs played out the string, losing to Yale, 7-1 and Dartmouth, 6-5.