Ethel Klein

THE MAIL

The Crimson has received the following letter addressed to the Chairman of the Government Department.

Dear Professor Montgomery:

I am writing to you to register my great disappointment, as an alumma of Harvard and the Government Department, that the department has chosen to give away (because surely that is what the decision amounts to) one of its greatest assets. In denying professor Ethel Klein promotion the department deprives the university and its students of an excellent teacher and outstanding role model.

Professor Klem Played a critical role in my own intellectual development and my educational experience and I know that many others feel as I do I can think of few other professors whose teaching inspired students to learn and to actively participate in their education as much as Professor Klem's did Her love of learning ensured that students minds were engaged during class--an all too phenomenon at Harvard. At the end of virtually every class students asked questions of her of themselves and each other as they walked out. To spark that kind of questioning should be the goal of every professor.

Of the many qualities a student could praise in Professor Klein. I would like to mention a few in particular. First, the extent and depth of her knowledge of the subject matter is obvious, yet not intimidating. She knows political science well and draws on her vast knowledge in lectures and discussions, formal and informal. She is able to do so and still encourage students to ask questions and learn--an unusual ability.

Second, her dedication to all her students is nothing short of phenomenal. Not only are her office hours always booked, she always takes extra time to speak with students and answer their questions. The accessibility for the inaccessibility of professors has long been a matter of concern for the Harvard community--students, faculty, and administration Consistently students complain, in the faculty says it is trying harder, and the administration assures everyone from concerned alumni to worried parents to prospective high school seniors that, contrary to rumor, the stellar cast of teachers is available to every student. In view of this fact, and the current alarm, nationwide, over the inferior quality of American teaching. I wonder how the Government Department can defend its vote not to promote one of its finest teachers.

A third praiseworthy attribute of Professor Klein is her insistence of critical evaluation, hard work, and precise arguments. However else her courses might be described, they are not considered "guts." To do well, one must think clearly and defend one's position. She warns incoming students that to believe one view or another is quite different from articulating that view, building an argument for or against it, or criticizing it--all of which she insists upon.

This combination of knowledge, enthusiasm, dedication, and demanding critical thinking makes Professor Klein a teacher the Government Department, and Harvard, should not give up.

Finally, I cannot emphasize the importance of having role models, which is crucial for everyone, but especially students. Professor Klein serves as a role model for all students who have to struggle for an education, since she herself had to Perhaps even more important (at least as important) she serves as a role model for women striving to fulfill their potential (a goal which Harvard stresses for each of its students). It is essential that young women have actual role models, not just words that tell them they can do anything Professor Klein has been and is a role model for many women, including myself. She actively encourages all women to achieve, not only by her example but also by devoting much time and energy to working on behalf of women. In our society, dedicated to ending discrimination against women, people like Professor Klein should be promoted enthusiastically.

I am currently working with a national nonprofit organization dedicated to women's advancement and inclusion in the "real world"--in business and professional life, I have seen how large corporations do everything they can to keep talented women on their staff; in my opinion, the Government Department should follow that example and do everything it can to keep Professor Klein I would like to know why it is not doing just that. Patricia M. Notan