NOHO

ned to save money along the Ruts of several central Kitchen systems that each serve several Houses at the River, through a network of undergraduate earn channels.

Currier House, completed in the late 1960s--as compared to most other Quad buildings of were constructed in the first half of the 2001 century--is not in need of the kind of renovations needed by its two sister Houses at the Quad, officials said.

Official emphasized that current thinking about the Quad renovations is still preliminary. But they indicated that several stops--notably the commissioning of the design study for North House building--have been taken is insure a greater probability that the final plan materialize by 1985.

A start next summer for the North House buildings, however, is considered essential to the goal of doing extensive reworking within South House starting in spring 1985. when the new building would presumably be complete.

At that point, Quinn said, officials would plan to move residents in term-long intervals out of different parts of South House, placing them in the new North House addition for the duration of the extensive work within their portion of South House, and then shifting a new group of South residents in, as South is eventually entirely redone.

Quinn said that such a series of maneuver--probably totalling four shifts in all--could as lend the work at the Quad through as less as the beginning of 1988, three years beyond the currently scheduled completion of the entire House renovation program.

In all, officials said, the most extensive plans for Quad renovation night total as high as $22 million about $10 million more than the amount currently alloted for renovation work on North and South House. White the North House addition is estimated to cost between $5 and $6 million, the other extensive work--primarily the "gutting" of South House--may run an additional $4 million.

Several officials said that fundraising efforts have been intensified--within the context of the ongoing Harvard Campaign--in seek a major donor or two who would he willing to finance the major new work.

While efforts are staff in the early stages, officials said that the possibility of securing a major gift in expected to increase an a design for the new building is completed--sometime this fall. A major gift may also be attracted by an opportunity to re-name North or South House, officials said.

Masters of both North and South House yesterday expressed surprise at the word that a design study had been commissioned, saying that they were unaware that official consideration had moved beyond the decision stage. But they also welcomed the move, expressing enthusiasm for what they viewed as an instrumental step in gaining much-needed improvements for the Quad's 1050 student residents.