Word Processors Make Harvard Debut

Coin-Operated Machines Installed in Most Houses

By Laura E. Gomez

Coin-operated word processors will be available to students in all but three of the Houses and in several other locations by late September, University officials announced last week.

Thirty-six word-processing units--consisting of terminals, screens, and printers--are already installed in seven Houses and four more will be available in Lowell and Adams with the completion of renovations there.

Space constrictions prevent the installation of the DECmate 1 units in Eliot, Dunster, and Quincy.

Other campus locations include the Freshman Union, Boylston Hall, William James, Gutman Library, and the new graduate student lounge in Lehman Hall.

Keeping Up

The machines--on loan from the Digital Equipment Corporation--are part of the University's efforts to keep pace with the rapid growth of personal computer technology. Mark Van Baalen '66 of the Office, of Information and Technology said yesterday.

"Our theory is that everybody has to write a paper sometime and that word processors are of universal necessity, as opposed to fancy computers," Van Baalen added.

The University's initial survey showed that students would be willing to pay up to $3 per hour to use the units, but low turnout during last spring's reading period caused the University to settle on a $1 introductory rate. The price will rise to a $2 hourly charge on November 1, said Martha Gefter, associate dean of the College.

In addition, the University plans to use flyers and demonstration sessions in the Science Center to counter last spring's lag, Van Baalen said. He added that the various house newsletters will also publicize availability of the DECmates.

As part of its experiment the University will keep close track of usage refers this fall, said Lewis Law, director of technology for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

"The coin-operated word processors are an experiment--to find out whether it is feasible to charge in order to pay the operating costs [of setting up and maintaining the units]," he added.

Digital will also monitor student reaction both at Harvard and in a similar marketing study being conducted at Indians State University, two spokesman for Digital said, adding that the company plans mid-point evaluation of the project in December.

When word processing becomes a regular feature of house life, Gefter hopes to see an improvement in students writing. Word processors, she said, "make changing a sentence or word much more convenient."