Council Prepares for Elections, Attempts to Increase Turnout

By Mary Humes

With its second election of members 10 days away, the Undergraduate Council is aiming at increased voter participation.

Last year's council officers are serving as administrators of this year's elections, and organizing posters, ads and information packets for door-to-door distribution explaining the process for the elections which will be held in dining halls October 5, 6, and 7.

Each House and each of four freshman districts will elect five representatives, and there is no limit to the number of candidates. A student may nominate himself by calling the Undergraduate Council office and then submitting a declaration of candidacy by October 1.

Last year's Undergraduate Council was the first funded and centralized student government in Harvard's history. Its unique features are a budget funded by a voluntary $10 tremble fee and a link to Faculty committees.

More than 200 students vied for last year's 89 council seats. More than half the campus voted in the inaugural elections.

This year, council officers hope that increased visibility will boost voter participation to 75 percent.

"We expect voter participation to be far superior this year, because we will be doing more comprehensive issues," said last year's Chairman Sesha Pratap.

The council's new members will first meet October 12 to elect its new chairman, vice-chairman, treasurer and secretary.

Pralap said he does not plan to seek the chairmanship again.

"I've lost some of my enthusiasm since last winter and I think the Council needs a new person with such enthusiasm," he explained.

Pratap also said that because the council is still in its formative years it should not be subjected to the leadership style of one person for too long.