Fritz Catches Fire

PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE

A COLLECTIVE SIGN of relief could be heard from Democrats all around the country Monday, as they began to take stock of Sunday's debate between Walter F. Mondale and President Reagan. In Illinois, Rep. Paul E. Simon bould breathe a little bit easier in his effort to unseat Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Charles H. Percy, while in North Carolina Gov. James B. Hunt Jr. stiffened his back as he prepared to block the resurgence of Republican Jesse A. Helms in their Senate battle. And right here at home, one got the feeling that Lt. Gov. John E. Kerry had some more reserves in two to help stave off the second-half comeback of Massachusetts' own Gipper, Ray Shamie.

Mondale may have too much ground to pick up in the next month to pull our Presidential victory, but his surprisingly strong debate performance was not offered in vain. In a campaign reason in which Democrats have had remarkably little to cheer about, Mondale has finally given his party a reason to cheer. His quick and successful rhetorical jabs at an unusually slow-witted Reagan has worked, in a number of ways, to steam the seemingly unstoppable erosion away from the Democratic Party nationwide.

The most salutary effect of the debate will most likely be to rid the media of its nagging preoccupation with the perceived Democratic malaise. Mondale's fiesty performance plays right into the pundits' vested interest--lamentable as it might be--making this thing a horse race. Watching Bob Schieffer and Lesley Stahl gush on post-debate Monday was the visual equivalent of watching a Mondale press conference, and one reason is clear. After dwelling for two months on Mondale's missteps and Reagan's opportunistic new patriotism, the fourth estate is bored. The press (us included doesn't want 25 point landslides, but the potential for an upset, and Mondale's performance provided just such an opening; he was amply rewarded with the most glowing coverage of the campaign thus far.

Mondale's performance should also rid fellow Democrats of their maddening propensity to refuse to embrace the ticket. It's been fashionable of late to bad-mouth Mondale and his campaign as losers--even Tip O' Neil has gotten into the act--but that should disappear now with Mondale's closing statement. The question, Mondale argued, should not be that posed by the President--are you better off than you were--but will we, as a nation, be better off in the future by the policies being debated. In saying so, he disavowed the repellent selfishness underlying the Republican appeal and at long last articulated a compelling raison d'etre for the Democratic ticket.

REAGAN'S LEAD in the polls in large, perhaps insurmountable, and in that respect Mondale's performance may have been to no avail. But, to paraphrase his own words, it is better to lose a campaign based on the issues of compassion and fairness rather than win one by appealing to self-interest. And now, there's a glimmer of hope that Mondale could even win on the right way-or, at least, swing a few congressional seats in trying.