MIT Crushes Spikers

Crimson Falls 3-0

"This," said an MIT student watching last night's women's volleyball clash between Harvard and the Engineers, "is our token good sports team."

MIT, now 18-3, lived up to his words by crushing the Crimson at DuPont Gym, 15-3, 15-12, 15-5

For the second consecutive game Harvard, now 7-6, had problems just reaching the court A team member overslept, forcing Coach Ishan Gurdal and his squad to take a bus to the game.

The late-arriving, early exiting spikers helped the home team's cause greatly by making countless unforced errors, including missing three serves in a row at a crucial point in the final game.

Gurdal did not mince words after the match: "They were quite strong for us--obviously a better team."

MIT dominated the first game from the start, taking early leads of 5-0 and 8-1. Anella Munro capped the game for the Engineers with a pair of slams that would have made Darryl Dawkins proud.

Harvard, which played tightly and nervously throughout the match jumped out to an 8-3 lead in the second game only to see it disappear under relentless pressure from Munro and Julie Koster

At 12-14, the Harvard server caught a poor loss rather than letting it drop for side out, and MIT roared to its final 16 points.

Ha Ha Ha

The Engineers, in stark contrast to the Crimson, played a very loose match, laughing off their mistakes rather than dwelling on them. This attitude contributed greatly to the hosts resounding victory.

Many of MIT played are seniors and have played together for four years. This cohesiveness they saved many shots that were about to drop for Harvard points

The visiting Cantabs, 3-0 losers in their last two matches, must now prepare for Saturday's Ivy League bout with Brown.

Gurdal forecasts "a good match up. They were a little better than us last year. It's a big game for us."