Ec 10 Is Leader in Enrollment

Justice Is the Second Largest Clar

Enrollment in Harvard's two most popular full courses, Social Analysis 10. "Principles of Economics," and Moral Reasoning 22. "Justice," increased by more than 100 students each this year, maintaining their position at the top for the second year in a row.

One thousand seventy-two students listed Social Analysis 10 formerly Economics 10, on their study cards, making it again the largest fall course.

Under the leadership of Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein '61, who leads the course this year after a two-year stint as Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, the course grew by 116 students over last year, when just over 950 students signed up for it.

Six hundred seventy-five students enrolled in the University's second most popular fall course. Moral Reasoning 22, an increase of 105 over last year.

Lawrence B. Lindsey, head section leader for Social Analysis 10, attributed the growth of the course to the national attention Feldstein received while working in the Reagan Administration.

"About 80 percent of everything you will learn as an undergraduate economist will be presented in Ec 10," he added "Students know we offer a very high quality course."

The growth of Moral Reasoning 22 was also attributed to the drawing power of the course's instructor.

"I think a lot of the credit must go to [Professor of Government] Michael Sandel," said David M. Steiner head section leader of "Justice." "He makes a class of 700 feel like a class of 70."

Other perennials on the list of the top ten courses include Chemistry 5, "Principles of Chemistry"; Biology 7b, "Introductory Biology 11"; Chemistry 20, "Organic Chemistry," and Math 1a, "Introduction to the Calculus."

Newcomers to the list included Moral Reasoning 30, "Jesus and the Moral Life," the third most popular course this fall with an enrollment of 511 students.

Literature and Arts C-31. "Literature of the Outsider in America"; Science B-16. "The History of the Earth and of Life", and Historical Study A-13 are also new to the list this year.

Agassiz Professor of Zoology Stephen J. Gould said his course. "History of the Earth and of Life," grew this year because of the addition of some new section leaders, adding that this year, as in the past, he had to turn away a large number of students.

"It's painful. I hate doing it." Gould said, adding "I think we had 900 people."

"It pleases me that Harvard students are still interested in the kind of literature I'm teaching," said Assistant Professor of English and American Literature Andrew Delbanco, instructor of "Literature of the Outsider in America" But he added that he was a little surprised at the turnout for his course.

The large enrollment forced Delbanco to move his course to an auditorium in Paine Hall. "It makes me feel life I'm giving a concern or something," he said.