After Day One It's Texas

Women's Tennis

The University of Texas women's tennis team, led by the tourney's two top-ranked players, took a commanding lead in yesterday's first day's action at the Harvard Women's Invitational Tennis Tournament.

The tourney, which marks the first time that the nation's top teams have been attracted to the East to compete against Harvard, will last throughout the weekend at the Beren Tennis Center.

Netwomen from Rollins, Clemson, Princeton, the University of North Carolina, and Texas are in town to compete with ECAC champion Harvard squad in one of the nation's most talent-laden fall tournaments.

Among the shining stars in the constellation of outstanding players are world-ranked Beverly Bose and Ann Grousbeck of Texas and freshman phenom Nicole Stafford of Clemson.

Bose and Grousbeck, the top two seeds, cruised through the first two rounds of play, as did Texas' Diana Dopson and Michelle Carrier, the third and fourth seeded players in the "B" bracket.

Harvard's top-ranked Robin Boss bowed to Clemson's Stafford, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, in second round action.

Mary Dinneen of Rollins, the third seed in the "A" bracket--and the sister of Harvard assistant coach John Dinneen--bested Harvard's Erika Smith in a second-round squeaker, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5).

All-American Crimson netwoman Kathy Vigna, who is seeded first in the "B" flight, survived the quarterfinal round of play, drawing a bye in the first round and then trouncing a visiting Clemson star in the second round, 6-7, 6-1, 6-2.

Four flights of both singles and doubles will be contested during the tourney. First and second place team awards will be handed out, and the top four individuals in each flight will also be recognized.

Doubles play, as well as the semifinal rounds in the singles tourney, are on the slate for today.

The final rounds for both singles and doubles will climax the tournament on Sunday.