Kirkland, Quincy Remain Undefeated in House Football

By Matthew H. Joseph

Kirkland House maintained its undefeated House football record with a decisive 16.0 victors yesterday over Lowell House.

The Kirkland men dominated the contest from the start, capping off an explosive offensive drive after the opening kickoff with a one-yard run by Nick Lillie. A successful two point conversion made the score8.0.

Lowell, stymied by the Kirkland blitz and unable to make significant progress on the ground, was forced to turn the ball over on downs late in the second quarter.

Kirkland took advantage with a lighting last drive through the air, highlighted by a 40-yard scoring strike from Bartenfelder with only 29 seconds left in the half.

The next two quarters proved to be less exciting than the first two, with many more mistakes, penalties, and turnovers but no scores.

. . . . .

Quincy House squeaked by Winthrop House in tackle football yesterday with a 14-8 victory that set up a Quincy-Kirkland battle for the division title.

The Winthrop loss marked the first defeat for any Winthrop intramural team start off in good field position after a Winthrop punt.

Despite two penalities, Quincy drove down to the Winthrop 10-yard line. A flea-flicker found McNamara in the end zone to give Quincy a six point lead that would last for the rest on the game.

"We won because we had balanced running and passing," said McNamara, the Quincy Captain. "We knew Winthrop would be tough and they were."

Both Quincy and Kirkland are now 2-0, so their Friday showdown now has critical importance in determining the division champ, who will face the winner of the other House football division for the overall title.