Woman Spikers Rally, Overcome Tufts, 3-2 Win Two, Lose Two, Take Final Game, 15-9

If the Detroit Tigers are overconfident carrying a 2-0 lead into the final three games of their series with the Kansas City Royals, perhaps they should consult the Harvard women's volleyball team.

The spikers snatched an easy two-game lead from Tufts at the Indoor Athletic Building yesterday afternoon, then witnessed their huge advantage vanish into a three-point deficit in the fifth game before they finally regained their composure to emerge victorious, 15-3, 15-5, 9-15, 3-15, 15-9.

The triumph upped Harvard's record to 4-1, while the Jumbos' slate dropped to 3-3.

"It wasn't very good." Crimson senior Co-Captain Coco Trumbull said of her team's play.

Harvard got a slow start in the first game, but Trumbull put the team on the right track, serving for five consecutive points and giving the Crimson a commanding 6-1 lead over the apparently helpless visitors.

With excellent play from Trumbull, Co-Captain Cathy Wong, and freshman Susie Tapson, Harvard went on to stomp its opponents in the first game, 15-3.

The story remained the same in game two.

Tufts jumped out to a 5-1 advantage before Harvard regrouped, ran up 14 unanswered points, and claimed the game, 15-5.

All systems were go for a Crimson rout, but my, how things can change.

A spirited Jumbo squad took advantage of bad serves and sloopy Harvard net play to capture the third game, 15-9.

The Cantabs stayed in a daze in game number four and succumbed, 15-3.

What at first seemed like a sure three-game sweep had turned into an all-out battle.

"When we got up, 2-0, I think we got a little overconfident," Tapson said later.

"We lose our concentration, and that's a bad habit," Trumbull added.

After surrendering the first three points of game five, Harvard woke from its slumber. The Crimson outscored its opponents, 12-2, en route to winning the game, 15-9, and the match, 3-2.

"We're going to have to play more smoothly," said Wong.

"We're having a tough time," said Trumbull, referring to the team's lack of consistency.

The spikers had best pull together soon--they head to the University of New Hampshire on Sunday for a tournment.