Octoberfest Brings Crowds, Contest to Harvard Square

Although no cars appeared on the streets, the traffic in Harvard Square still increased last Sunday, as nearly 15,000 people attended the sixth annual Harvard Square Business Association Octoberfest.

The festival included 60 stands extending from the corner of John F. Kennedy and Brattle Streets and featured yodelers, Tyrolean singers and vendors of bratwurst, sauerkraut and beer.

The First Girl

One of the highlights of the afternoon was the St. Pauli Girl Look-a-like Contest. The field of 13 candidates swung beer mugs and sang songs as the panel of judges, composed of representatives of the St. Pauli Girl Company and local Cambridge merchants looked on.

Cambridge resident Nancy E. Judge, a waitress at the recently closed Inn Square Men's Bar, captured top honors of $350 and possible future promotional work for the company.

Arthur J. Penachio, District Manager for Carlton Importing, importers of St. Pauli Girl, said he sees Harvard Square as an appropriate place for the contest as St. Pauli Girl draft is sold only in Boston, where "its acceptance has been phenomenal."

The Octoberfest attracted a wide variety of festivalgoers. Katherine L. Webster '87 brought her visiting parents to the festival "to show them what Harvard undergraduates do in their spare time," although she noted that a large part of the crowd consisted of Cambridge residents.

Cambridge resident Mary M. Smith brought her 2 year old daughter Sacha, who after a taste of beer, "decided that she prefers wine."

Despite the large crowd, Sergeant Anthony L. Ferraro of the Cambridge Police did not encounter any problems. "Everyone's having a good time, but they're all in hand. People are conducting themselves very well and we've had no problems." No arrests or disturbances had been reported by the end of the day, according to Police Department officials.

Although the German fare seemed to be selling well, a nearby taco stand did not boast the same level of business. Proprietor Bruce Haddad of Boston conceded. "The German stuff seems to be going over better." He harbored no bad feelings, however, and added. "We love it, the music, the atmosphere. No one's walking around without a smile. Everyone's happy so I'm happy."