Booters Blank Bulldogs In Season Home Finale

By Kevin Carter

Before the Harvard men's soccer team defeated archenemy Yale, 1-0, this morning at Ohiri Field, there was somewhat of an undercurrent of resentment and jealousy on the part of many New England soccer teams, the Elis included.

Last Monday National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) officials surprised many area soccer teams and coaches when they selected the Crimson to participate in the first round of playoffs for the national Division I championship.

Many observers of the New England soccer scene felt the Crimson did not deserve the opportunity, which was the first bid the Crimson has received in a decade.

Yale Coach Steve Griggs--whose Bulldogs were ranked third in New England before today's game (the Crimson was ranked fourth) and who were among the strongest contenders for a bid--was among the most outspoken critics of the NCAA selection committee's decision.

If they couldn't get a bid, the Elis thought, at least they could show the world who really deserved one by defeating the offenders on their own pitch.

But Harvard silenced its critics this morning.

The Crimson, playing in Antarctic weather on Ohiri, dominated play to such an extent that Harvard goalkeeper Matt Ginsburg did not have to make a single save until three minutes into the second half.

From the first touch, it became apparent that most of the play would take place in the midfield, but in the Yale half of the pitch, with the Crimson looking for weaknesses to exploit in the Eli defense.

In the 20th minute, Harvard's efforts said off in the only goal of the game. Striker John Catliff, located about 20 yards out' on the left side of the pitch, passed into the goal area to the waiting feet of midfielder Paul Nicholas, who faked the drawers off a Yale defender and put the ball past Yale 'keeper Jeff Duback.

The tally seemed to ignite the hosts, and 21 seconds after the goal, the Crimson almost set the season record for quickest two tallies when freshman winger Nick Hotchkin hit the right post.

The Dogs came out aggressively in the earlier minutes of the second half, creating a number of chances from the 45th to the 53rd minutes, but Ginsburg and the Crimson back four of Frank DiFalco, Ian Hardington, Mark Pepper, and Matt Cameron were able to keep the ball out of the net and, as time went on, to frustrate Yale's chances.

Runner Up

The Crimson completed their season with a record of 11-4., and it is tied for second in the Ivies with a record of 5-2.

Harvard takes on the University of Connecticut, the top ranked team in New England, in the first round of national playoffs on November 25 in Storrs, Conn.