Women's Hockey

Sports Wrap

By Jessica Dorman

Just look at it as a learning experience.

The Harvard women's ice hockey team was crushed by the University of New Hampshire, 11-1, but perhaps gained some wisdom along the way.

Crimson Coach John Dooley entered the contest against one of the best teams in the nation with a lowkey gameplan: "We'll use this as a game to gain experience without the pressures of the Ivy League."

Although Harvard's overall record fell to 2-2 with the loss, its all-important Ivy record remained 2-1.

"UNH is definitely a powerhouse and has always been that way," said Assisant Coach Bill MacDeuald, adding "They're really in a league by themselves."

The way the game began, it looked as though Harvard might have a few things to teach UNH.

Seven minutes into play, kelly Landry brought the puck up the ice and slipped it to Dinny Starr. Starr centered the puck to senior Liz Ward, who snapped a shot through the legs of Wildcat goalie Kathy Narsiff.

"Things looked good at that point," said McDonald. "We were playing them up and down the ice."

It didn't take long for all of that to change.

Ward's goal came at 7:18, and at 7:28 Vivian Ferry knocked the first of five goals past Harvard goalie Tracy Kimmel.

Teammate Lauren Apollo added another tally three minutes later, to give the Wildcats a 2-1 advantage after one period.

The big explosion came in the second period. Ferry added three more tallies in the stanza, and Apollo, Beth Barnhill, and Katie Stone contributed single goals to blast the lead to 8-1.

"This stretch really sealed it," said McDonald.

The crush didn't let up in the third period, either, as Ferry earned her fifth score, and Stone and Amanda Moors snuck shots past Kimmel. Despite the high score, the Crimson goalie registered an impressive 36 saves against the overpowering UNH offense.