Bernal Leads Revamped Aquamen Into Thick of Eastern Competition

Crimson Faces Victims, Bruins at Tournament

By Richard L. Meyer

Entering this weekend's New England Championship Tournament, the Harvard men's water polo team sports a 13-6 record; at this time last year the squad's mark was 11-4.

The records aren't much different, but much has changed on this team in the past year. Foremost is its attitude.

Give the credit for that transformation to highly respected first-year Coach Joe Bernal, who took over for Steve Pike, who resigned.

"There were coaching and personell problems with Coach Pike," says team Captain Adam Button. "They've been ameliorated with Coach Bernal. He knows his stuff and his strategy."

Other players are quick to agree. "It's a real pleasure to play for a coach rather than in spite of one," says junior Jon Sandler.

Bernal, the longtime, successful coach of the Harvard men's swimming squad, has brought the Crimson some much-needed respect. He's revamped the Crimson's game, installing a fastbreaking offense and a man-to-man defense, which he compares to the fast-paced play of the Boston Celtics.

"The offense and defense are [now] completely different," says Bernal. "I've gotten them away from looking at one or two guys all the time."

The new offense has produced immediate results both in and out of the pool.

The team has averaged about eight goals a game, and against Eastern powerhouse Brown--ranked eighth in the nation--the Crimson has scored 15 goals in two contests. "Everyone else averages about two against Brown," says Bernal.

With the increased offensive output and the new coaching situation, the atmosphere has completely changed at Blodgett Pool.

"We're a lot looser and we're having fun. Things are positive," says Rob Strauss, a Second Team All-New England selection last year.

"This team is better as a team than ever before," adds Strauss, "and the key is the motivation of the coach."

So the aquadndes move into this weekend's tournament with tremendous confidence. Already this season, they've beaten four of the five teams entered in the two-day tourney at Brown.

The Bruins are the only sqaud the Crimson will face that it hasn't defeated.

"We should fair well," says Button.

And if they do fair well--first or second in the tournament--they'll qualify for the Eastern Championships next week. From there, it could mean a trip to nationals.