Union Fire Floud Damage Kitchen In Morning Mishap

A fire in the Freshman Union baseman caused several hundred dollars of damage after a cigarette ignited a such of empty egg early yesterday morning.

Cambridge fire fighters responded shortly after 6.30 and extinguished the blaze within minutes John H. O Neil acting dinning hall director said yesterday.

Smoke and more than a foot of water from fire fighters houses caused most of the damage O Neil added.

Building and Grounds workers began cleanup and repair yesterday morning and should finish the job by tonight said structural foreman James F. Caruso.

A found service employee's cigarette probably started the fire O Neil said. He noted that yesterday's fire was the first at the Union in at least five years.


No one was injured in the fire, which delayed breakfast for ten minutes.