Women Fly, But Men Fall to Big Red

Two Cents Wurf

By Nick Wurf

The Harvard women's hockey team wants Princeton, wants them badly.

Last night in Ithaca, N.Y., the icewomen warmed up for their Sunday showdown with the Tigers by routing Cornell, 8-1. The Crimson son started out slow, perhaps thinking ahead to Princeton just a little. Then the Crimson settled down to score seven times in the last two periods, upping their Ivy mark to 4-3-1. The win sweeps the season series against the Big Red and avenges two losses to the Ithacans a year ago.

This is the last chance for most of the team's mainstays, a team that is not going to the ECAC playoffs this year, a team that turned down a tarnished bid to participate in the EAIAW last year, a team that has one more crack at Princeton on its mind.

"The seniors on this team have never beaten Princeton," Co-Captain Diane Hurley said after the Cornell win. "We want them really badly."

Earlier this year, the Tigers jumped out to a quick three-goal lead at Bright Center against he Crimson, but the icewomen were able to ie the contest at four, before a six-goal Princeton third period doomed the Crimson's chances and left the seniors once again watching the Tigers escape with the Ivy title.

Last night the Crimson won in classic form as star center Kathy Carroll hat-tricked, and Hurley had two goals, including an unassisted short-handed tally to pace the team offensively. And back in the Harvard zone. All-Ivy netminder Cheryl Tate turned away 21 of the 22 shots she faced.

Next year Tate, Hurley, Carroll, and all four of the team's defensemen, Megan Berthold, Deb Taft. Sue Newell and Suzanne Tanner will be gone. And with them will go the heart of a great team. Not the most successful team in Harvard history, but a team that twice managed to steal Beanpots from a cocky, sure, big, highly skilled and powerful Northeastern team.

To finish with the style that they have displayed throughout, the icewomen have to avenge four years of losses against the Tigers.

And there are not doubts on the Harvard squad. "We're going in to win and we're going to win." Hurley says. At Lynah Prink Harvard  143--6 Cornell  010--1

H. Kathy Carroll (Diane Hurley) 16:06. H. Kelly Landry (unassisted) 3:01: H. Dinny Starr (Genie Simmons. Megan Bertholo) 13:25: C. Amy Stanzin (unassisted) 14:43; H. Hurley (unassisted) 15:40: H. Hurley (Starr) 17:23: H. Carroll (Hurley) 2:35: H. Simmons (unassisted) 5:08: H. Carroll (Sue Newell) 12:50.

Saves.! Cheryl Tale, 9-8-4--21, Tracy Kimmel,-- 2--2: C. Nadine Wormabacher 5-5-14--24.