Tracksters Stumble at Heps

Women's Hopes Crack

The Harvard women's track team came to Princeton and the Heptagonals last Saturday to thump all Ivy competition and stellar squads from the Naval and Army academies.

They came with high hopes, but had to leave with fewer.

The Crimson tracksters finished fourth with 63 points behind Army, Pennsylvania, and Yale with 127, 78, and 67 points respectively.

Two Harvard runners in particular left most of their fields in awe as they raced unchallenged toward victories.

In the 5000-meter run, Kate Wiley accelerated to a consistent, quick speed and stayed with it. She kept running as her competitors dropped back one by one. Wiley simply maintained her pace After five thousand meters she was all alone at the tape. Wiley had won.

Grace deFries ran a victorious 800 meters in 2:12.46. She accelerated at the start. And then she ran a bit faster. Finally, deFries sprinted to break the wire ahead of the field.

In the 1500-meter race, half an hour later, deFries was too tired to win. Instead, she scored desperately needed points for Harvard by placing fourth in a tough run with the respectable time 4:36.71.

Still, the most exhausted Crimson athlete must have been Mariquita Patterson, who secured second place in the pentathlon with 3494 points.

Harvard's Marie Acacia, despite troubling injuries which have hindered her all year, shot putted 43 feet for a second place finish.