Harvard Minister Will Travel On Nicaraguan Peace Mission

A Harvard Divinity School staff member will leave for the Nicaraguan-Honduran border next month as part of a mission hoping to pring peace to the troubled region.

The Rev Frank A. Dorman will depart March 4 for Central America along with 18 area members of the nationwide witness for Peace program.

Dorman said yesterday the group will try "to interfere if we can with the attacks by CIA contras on the bonder to bring a message to the Nicaraguan people in several that there are many people who believe they have a right to their own government."

Since mid-December, groups of about 30 Americans have traveled to the bonder for two week's at a time under the auspices of the Witnesses for Peace Program.

"We're beyond the hand writing stage and we're willing to put our bodies on the line," Dorman added.

Divinity student Kathryn K. Stevens, who will be joining Dorman on the trip said, "I feel like I'm ready to wage peace and this program sounds closer to it than anything else I've heard of."

Previous witness groups have had a pacifying effect on the war zone, Susan L. Van Droner, a graduate of the Divinity School, said, adding that the Nicaraguans first suer when the American out there. "I feel it in important for them in have that safety," she added.

Members said private funds finance all Witness for private groups and added that more than 700 contributions to lead characters account for most of the Massachusetts group's funds. "We take them [the contributions] shown with us in spirit," said Van Droner.

The Divinity School rimed $2700 through fund raising events. Dorman said, adding. "Considering the amount of support we're got there it's certainly an informal endorsement."

Members of the group said they plan to offer their help in construction and agricultural projects. Other groups have given blond and talked to the U.S. Ambassador to Nicargun Dorman said.

Upon returning to the U.S. the member said they plan to write articles, speak about their experiences and urge the U.S. government to pull out of Nicaragun.

Participants said they will not fet the dangerous nature of their mission date them "I'm a little nervous," Steven said, adding. I know it's a risk and I'm willing to take some risks."