The Phil, Shayne and Rob Show

Two Cents Wurf

By Nick Wurf

With more than six minutes left to play last night at Bright Center, Harvard was up by only a single goal, 2-1.

Some pesky Bruins were acting like they just might tie things up, then go on to win and end Harvard Hockey 1983-84. Some Crimson seniors were contemplating premature retirement on the sullen Harvard bench.

Bruin goalie Paul McCarthy, a Dorchester native, had been making big saves all night in his final game before a fiesty group of friends and relatives.

Enter the Geriatric Line.

Phil Falcone, playing only his second game back after a knee injury sidelined him for two months; Rob Wheeler, a tennis player turned hockey player only last season; Shayne Kukulowicz, who, after scoring 16 goals last year, has been struggling to put the puck in the net all year and who had an apparent goal called back for a crease violation in the first period.

Not exactly the three hottest players in college history.

But not exactly three players who want to see their hockey careers end without one more chance at the playoffs. Three players who don't want to lose to a 6-18-1 Brown squad at home in their last game.

If the light-hearted bantering in the locker room is any guide, the icemen weren't too concerned with their less-than-dazzling performance against the Bruins.

At 13:58 of the final period, Falcone scooped up a loose puck in the slot and knocked home a backhander that nestled in the net just inside the right post. Assists were given to Kukulowicz and Wheeler.

"Kuk lost the puck in front, "Falcone said. "I put in the backhander--it felt good."

"I didn't lose it front," Kukulowicz reported. "Why don't you say that Kukulowicz tripped over his own feet in front of the Brown het? Anyway, he owes it all to his outstanding wingers."

Meanwhile, Rob Wheeler was happy to have gotten credit for helping out. "I got an assist," he explained. "It must have just been because of my presence on the ice."

So, Shayne, what'll be the presence on the ice this weekend?

"Me."