Of Tongues and Terriers

By James D. Solomon

Late in the third period when Harvard Captain Ken Code clutched his side, threw off his grove, skated to the face-off circle, and felt to the ice, few in the sellout Boston Garden Beanpot crowd seemed concerned with Northeastern's 7-3 lead.

Code swallowed and choked on his tongue following a physical meeting of the team's captains deep in the Harvard end. Frantic gesturing by Code brought both team trainers. Harvard Coach Bill Cleary and teammate Rob Wheeler to his aid Harvard Disk Emerson removed Code's helmet and restored his breathing within 30 seconds.

The incident, at 18.18 of the third period, ended with Code to his team's locker room under his own power.

"I'm fine," the captain said following the game, adding that he was more concered with Harvard "bouncing back against Princeton" this Friday.

* * *

There was a little more on the Huskies' minds Monday night than a Beanpot championship. "They won it for them," said Northeastern Coach Fern Flaman referring to his wife and son. In the past three weeks. Flaman's son has been diagnosed as having a serious and the coach's wife recently broke her kneecap in a fall.

Huskies Co-Captain Craig Frank said that Haman's family problems which forced their coach to miss several games in January brought the team closer together. His problem is the team's problem. Frank said, adding that this played a role into team's victor.

* * *

Northeastern center Jay Heinhuck says he seems to be getting a lot of assists lately. Last night was no exception.

with four assists, the sophomore raised his season total to 20.

Although Heinbuck says he prefers goals to assists his assists "mean goals for the team."

"I can't complain--when they don't score goals then I can complain," he said.

* * *

The Huskies used small Garden rink to trounce the same Harvard squard that heat them 4-2 in late January

Stressing his team's heavy forechecking Flaman said simply: "Our game plan was not to let Harvard skate." In the first meeting a couple of breaks provided the Crimson with the margin of victory.

"During the game over at Harvard we played a heck of a first and third periods, but our second period was like tonight's," Heinbuck said. He added that last night's key was his team's defensive play when the game was close.

* * *

The Northeastern icemen (8-7-1 ECAC 13-9-1 overall) will look to average a physical 7-5 loss to Boston University (12-4-0, 21-5-0) in next Monday's Beanpot championship "some of the players are itching to get back at B. U." Flaman said.

"We want to be the best in Boston for just one night." Husky Randy Bucik said.

The consolation game matches the Crimson (7-7-1, 7-10-1) and Boston College (13-4-0, 20-6-0). In their only meeting this year the Eagles defeated Harvard 3-1 at Bright center.