New Poll Hours Should Up Blue-Collar Turnout

By Laura E. Gomez

In primaries past, had you been unable to leave work, you probably would have forfeited your right to vote But today a new state law extends voting hours to 7 a.m. through 8 p.m.

Supporters of the 13-hour polling bill promised that it would further democratize elections by giving everyone the opportunity to vote conveniently.

Today, that hypothesis will be tested. More than three million voters have registered for today's Massachusetts primary, but no one knows how many will brave the expected low temperatures to cast their ballots.

"For most people, it's impossible to get to town hall during the day--the advantages of longer polling hours are obvious for working people," says Stephen G. Roche, legislative director for the Secretary of State.

But even with the likely positive impact of longer voting hours, officials are predicting only about 30 percent turnout today. That would be lower than the turnout for the 1980 Presidential primary here, mostly because of the lack of Republican challengers.

Democrats--nearly half of the state's voters--and independents--another 40 percent--are expected to turn out in high numbers for today's primary.

Ratified in November, the bill--which Secretary of State Michael J. Connolly's office had introduced for 11 consecutive years--was heavily supported by a coalition of labor and consumer groups.

Those opposing 13-hour polling included the Massachusetts Association of Town Clerks, who worried that the extended hours would pose unreasonable financial burdens on local governments.

Small Massachusetts towns staunchly opposed the measure As one polling official says. "It's asinine for a town with 100 voters to be open for 13 hours" considering the additional security, space personnel and heating costs.

But some of the state's "bedroom communities"--localities where most of the population works in a bordering metropolitan area--have voluntarily operated extended hours since the 1950's according to Belmont town clerk Ann C. Wilson.

Besides having to defeat the costs arghument, the polling hours bill had higher political hurdles to jump.

"A lot of old-time legislators would risk their political futures by opening up their constituencies," says one state official who wished to remain anonymous.

"A legislator has a lot more to lose by trying to dampen participation," counters Emilio Favorito, a staff member for Emanual Serra (D-East Boston), who chairs the House Elections Laws Committee.

Most attempts to reform Massachussetts voting laws--which rank amongst the strictest in the country--have not met with such success.

Measures aimed at instituting postcard registration--which 20 other states allow--and placing deputy registrars in every high school failed last fall.

But state representatives set up a special commission last August to investigate voting laws in all 50 states and compare them to Massachusetts' laws.

The commission is expected to release its report in April.