Richardson Calls for Tax, Budget Cuts

Planning for the Senate Race

Describing himself as a "pre-announced but unannounced" candidate for the seat vacated by Senator Paul E. Tsongas (D-Mass.), Elliot L. Richardson '41 addressed an audience of 35 last night.

Richardson outlined the issues which he will push during his campaign for the Republican nomination, including nuclear arms reduction, environmental protection and reviving American industry.

Responding to the charge that he has spent too much time out of the state to be familiar with the issues of local concern, Richardson countered that his government experience makes him an effective voter advocate.

"I know more about the workings of the Federal government than any living human being," he said. Richardson has held a variety of Cabinet-level positions, including Secretaryships of Defense, Commerce, and Health, Education and Welfare, and a stint as Attorney General.

Richardson also called for "significant savings" in defense and "balance" in Medicare and certain Federal employee retirement pensions to control the burgeoning Federal deficit. He advocated tax loopholes, perhaps in combination with a decrease in tax rates.

Although he won't formally announce for another week, Richardson has already amassed a $150,000 war chest, and holds a two-to-one lead in many polls over Republican opponent Ray Shamie.