Aquamen Top Easterns; Sixth Title Within Sight

By Mohammed Kashani-sabet

The Harvard men's swimming team look a giant step toward capturing its sixth straight Eastern Seaboards championship last night by placing first overall after the opening day's competition at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point. N.Y.

Senior Co-Captain Courtney Roberts placed Boston University's Dan Hughes in the 500-yd second with a time of 4 29 84, and senior Karl Illig missed the one meter diving crown by a mere three points to pace the Crimson.

"It's a hell of an exciting meet," Crimson Coach Joe Bernal said. "The guys got off to a slow start," but the aquaplane finished with a hang as Mike Miao, Matt Davis, Peter Egan and Roberts teamed up to take the 800-yd, freestyle relay the evening's final rate. Their phenomenal time fell only 3 second short of qualifying for the NCAAs, and left the Crimson, as Bernat put it skyrocketing.

Harvard assumed the lead with 124 points battering Brown's surprising 112 The Crimson's main corupetition figured to come from Princeton and Columbia, but the Tigers placed a disappointing fifth Banal, however, has in no way counted them out--yet. The Lions, who earlier this season dealt Harvard half of it dual-meet defeats ended with a disappearing act, finishing math.

Brown performed remarkably well, but the Brains may not be able to match the aquamen's depth in crucial events such as the 400-yd, individual medley and the 200-yd. Freestyle and pose a bona fide threat to the Crimson's throne.

In other events, freshmen Jim Konica and senior Jon Sappy came in eighth and 12th, respectively in the 200-yd. IM Main and Both Bareback took seventh and eight place in the 50-yd, freestyle. The top 16 finishers in each event and as follows.

The overall standings after yesterday season and as folkway 1--Harvard, 126; 2--Brown, 112; 3--Corwell 94; 4--Army, 93.5:5--Princeton, 85.