11 Named for Committee To Explore Police Racism

By Catherine L. Schmidt

A Harvard student and the University Police Chief were among 11 people including community residents, city officials and police officers appointed last night to a committee which will investigate charges of police racism.

City councilors established the committee earlier this year, in response to allegations by local parents that their children were being harassed by police officers because they were Black.

The group, which will hold its first meeting on Wednesday night, will "review the policies and procedures of the Police Department as they relate to the youth division." City Manager Robert W. Healy announced last night.

Members consist of two Department of Human Services employees, a city councilor, two parent representatives, a high school student. Anthony A Ball '86, University Police Chief Paul B. Johnson, and two Cambridge police officers including Chief Anthony J. Paolillo.

An amendment by Councilor Saundra Graham to include Hispanics in the investigation passed unanimously in council, but a representative has not yet been appointed.

Parents first appeared before city officials in January, charging that police officers arrested eight young Cambridge Blacks without reasonable grounds for suspicion and treated them harshly in the booking procedures.

The first incident, on January I sparked a rash of parent complaints and led to the formation of a citizens' board to review general police procedure, as well as the committee to investigate juvenile discrimination.

Ivory Tower

When charges of racism hit Harvard police as well councilors voted to include University representatives in the group Ball, a member of the Harvard Third World Student Alliance, said yesterday that having a student on the committee "will acquaint Cambridge people with the fact that Harvard students have the same concerns with Harvard and Cambridge police."

Johnson has repeatedly denied knowledge of racism with the force, but has said he is willing to listen to complaints. He could not be reached for comment last night.