Players to Watch

Five Crimson batwomen are expected to distinguish themselves throughout this year's campaign.

Senior Co-Captain Landya Boyer, a centerfielder from Montrose, Va., has been Honorable Mention All-Ivy for the last two years. She hit .340 last season and was solid defensively. Coach John Wentzell calls Boyer "a leader both on and off the field."

Senior Co-Captain Ellen Sackaroff, an Oceanside, N.Y. native, is the slick-fielding Crimson shortstop. Although a shortstop is not expected to be a great hitter, Wentzell says Sackaroff "is swinging the bat well".

Ann Wilson, a junior right fielder from Portland, Ore., led last year's batwomen in hitting with a .388 average. In addition, she was the only member of the squad to have a perfect 1,000 fielding average.

Joan Cunningham, a junior from Revere, will be serving as catcher as well as playing first base. She was one of the catchers for the squad as a freshman, and she switched to first base last year. This year, Cunningham will have the opportunity to show her versatility by playing both positions.

Hard-throwing pitcher Gerri Rubin started and finished all but two games last season racking up an 8-7 record and a 3.38 ERA, both respectable figures. A sophomore from Hamburg, N. Y., Rubin is throwing even harder than she did last year, and the second-team All-Ivy honoree is expected to assume the majority of the pitching duties again this year.