Batwomen Overcome B.C., Smack Way to 5-4 Win

Crimson Runs Record to 3-2

By Kevin Carter

The Crimson softball team took a seesaw contest at Boston College yesterday, 5-4.

Playing in a windy, drizzly Eagles' nest, the batwomen relied on an offensive eruption of 12 hits, as well as solid defense and effective pitching to register the victory.

In a fashion uncharacteristic of the Harvard squad this season, the batwomen drew first blood, taking the lead in the second inning with an early three runs.

After right fielder Ann Wilson led off the inning with a groundout to second baseman Susan Parrault, Joan Cunningham walked and moved to second on a wild pitch Mary McKinnon, who led the team with three hits, then singled in Cunningham for one of her two RBIs.

Later in the inning, Crimson second baseman Nancy Andrea, who knocked in three runs, brought in Landya Boyer and Ellen Sackaroff with a towering double over the head of Eagle left fielder Ann Weiler.

Give and Take

Boston College fought back with one run in the bottom of the second and another two in the fourth.

Harvard tacked on their fourth run in the sixth inning after Andrea knocked McKinnon in from third for her third ribbie.

During the seventh and last inning Harvard added what turned out to be the winning run when left fielder McKinnon drove in Lisa Rowning.

Gerri Rubin, who came in to relieve winning pitcher Janet Dickerman in the sixth, held the Eagles to one run in the last-chance bottom of the seventh to earn fireman's honors for the afternoon.

"Overall, this was a high-pressure game. There were a lot of situations in which they had a lot of runners in scoring position, and Janet had a number of strikeouts when we really needed them," Captain Sackaroff said.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson, now with a 3-2 record, travels to Smith College Thursday. Saturday the batwomen play a twinbill against Dartmouth 11 a.m. at Soldiers Field. Crimson 5, Eagles 4 HARVARD   ab  r  h  bi Bover cf  3  1  2  0 Andrea 2b  4  0  2  3 Barresic  3Tab>0  1  0 Rowning 3b  2  1  2  0 Brown dh  4  1  1  0 Wilson rf  3  0  0  0 Cunghm 1b  3  1  0  0 McKnon 1f  4  1  3  2 BOSTON COLLEGE     ab  r  h  bi Parrault 2b  4  0  1  0 Weiler lf  4  1  1  0 Soltzer cf  4  1  3  1 Montuorip  4  0  2  1 Cahalan c  3  0  1  0 Levy 3b  4  1  1  0 Semple rf  4  1  1  0 Martin ss  4  0  2  1

Game-Winning RBI-McKinnon. E-Rowning, Witson, Sackaroff. LOB-Harvard b. BC 11. 2B-Andrea SB-Seltzer. SS-Soyer. McKinnon, Sackaroff, Levy, Martan. CS-Parrault. S.-Rowning, Beyer, Wilson.   IP  H  R  ER  EB  SO Harvard Dickerman W. 2-0  5  11  3  3  3  3 Rubin, S 1  2  1  1  0  0  1 Dickerman faced two batters in sixth