The Pi: No Misogyny

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In my senior year it was my pleasure and privilege to room with a number of members of the Pi Eta Club, as such. I was privy to the sort of excesses of metaphor that have recently become something of a cause celebre. It should be pointed out that, whatever the nature of their newsletter, members of the Pi Eta evince a remarkable egalitarianism in dating, partying, and otherwise socializing with students from area schools which are generally jeered at and patronized, if noticed at all, by the usual run of Harvard snobs (some of which, if the students of Wellesley are to be believed, may be found at 14 Plympton St.)

More to the point. I find it curious that the editors of The Crimson many of whom are aspirants to the writing trade, would throw in with the priggish wing of the Left that leans all too blithely toward censorship. There is more virulent misogyny to be found in the books of Charles Bokowski or even Norman Mailer than in anything that ever circulated at the Pi Eta, yet I wouldn't want to see them removed from the stacks of Widener simply because a cult of cocksure feminists was camped on the front steps.

The Pi Eta is the only bastion of pure Id on an extraordinarily neurotic and repressed campus. You'd hardly have to be a literal Freudian to think that this is what the conflict is all about. Paul Attanasio '81