Men's Hoop Awards

Junior forward Joe Carrabino, selected earlier this year as the Ivy League Player of the Year in men's basketball, was named the Most Valuable Player of the 1983-84 Harvard team at last night's seventh annual Harvard basketball dinner.

Sophomore Arne Duncan received the Hamilton Fish Most Improved Player Award, while freshman Keith Webster was the recipient of the team's Hustle Award.

That trio was was an integral part of the finest Harvard men's hoop team in recent history. The Crimson recorded a 15-11 overall record and a 9-5 Ivy mark. Harvard's second-place Ivy record, one-game behind champion Princeton, tied the club's best-ever league finish.

The other major award winners last night were sophomore Pat Smith, selected the team's Best Defensive Player, and freshman Bob Daugherty, presented with the first annual John Harnice Award, is memory of the former Harvard player who would have been a senior this year.

Individual awards for outstanding performance were also presented at the seventh annual affair, which featured Boston Celtic general manager Red Auerbach as the guest speaker, Carrabino, Harvard's leading scorer and rebounder during the season, was also named the team's outstanding rebounder, as well as the top field goal shooter.

The Encino, Cal, native shared the outstanding free throw shooter award with junior Bob Ferry. Both players hit over 90 percent from the line, as Harvard established an all-time collegiate free throw percentage record (82-2 percent).

Smith was also named the club's top assist man, recording an even 100 on the year. It was the first time a Harvard player has hit triple figures in the assist department since 1978-79, when Glenn Fine set the record with 207.