Harvard Motorcycle Policeman Injured in Crash With Car

By Adam N. Gurfain

A Harvard University Police officer was injured this week when his motorcycle collided with a car while he was on an emergency call, police said.

Thomas Hustus, a 15-year-veteran of the force, suffered bruises, cuts over an eye and a strained shoulder in the Tuesday afternoon, April 17, mishap. Deputy Police Chief Jack W. Morse said yesterday.

Police said Hustus was rushed by ambulance to Mount Auburn Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Hustus was responding with flashing lights and siren to a 2.25 p.m. call when a car pulled in front of him at the intersection of Mt. Auburn Street and University Place.

Hustus, who was wearing protective clothing, deliberately turned his motorcycle on its side and skidded to avoid a major accident. Morse said, adding that he expects the officer back on duty "momentarily."

Police said the car involved in the accident sustained "minor damage."

Other Accident

Hustus is the second Harvard Police officer injured in a car accident in a month, Morse said.

Officer Kathleen Stanford suffered a broken jaw when her patrol car slammed into a bridge abutment about three weeks ago, Morse said. The crash occurred as Stanford tried to avoid hitting a car that had pulled in front of her.

Stanford was hospitalized following her accident. Morse added. He said he does not expect her to return to duty for at least another month.

Other incidents reported to Harvard and Cambridge police during the week ending Thursday, April 19, included.

Camera Caper: A Canon camera, flash and telephoto lens, valued at $525 were reported stolen from the Science Center computer terminal room between 6 and 7 p.m. last Friday where the equipment had been left unattended.

Receiver Ripoff: A stereo receiver valued at $250 was reported taken from room 311 at Lamont Library between April 6 and 16 while the office's occupant was on vacation.

Laundry Lifted: Police said several items of "ladies intimate apparel" valued at $90 were stolen from the Quincy House 6th-floor laundry room between 4:45 and 8 p.m. last Sunday.

The thefts were among seven of more than $100 and 12 of less than $100 reported to University police during the period from April 13 to 19.

In addition, University police said they arrested a Somerville man and a juvenile at about 1 a.m. Tuesday on charges of trespassing on Harvard property after prior notice. Police said they warned two other individuals off the campus.

Windows Broken: Harvard police said three first-floor windows at Holyoke Center were broken between 7 and 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. Police estimated the cost of repairs at $2,200.