Jazz Club Cooks at Cabot House Grille

News Feature

By Jonathan N. Brachman

For six days out of seven, Floyd's grille in the basement of Cabot House's Barnard Hall just serves hamburgers and other snacks to undergraduates. But on Fridays, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., jazz music and dim lighting transform the spot into "Cookin' at the Grille," Harvard's first nightclub.

The brainchild of Nestor Figueroa '80-6, who created the independent Cookin' at the Grille about two months ago, the club features only student acts, with names like Ernie and Gerald's Cold War Jazz Band and the C and C Duo.

The Grille continues to operate during the performances-- but unlike most other nightclubs, Cookin' at the Grille does not serve alcohol or require cover charge.

The club has primarily offered jazz tunes so far, but Figueroa says he would consider other motifs in the future as well.

"I think it's really exciting that something like this can happen at South House because we haven't had that many consistent events," said Alison I. McMorran '84.

"It's nice to have something up here other than in the basement of Hilles Library," she added.

"The food is great and the jazz is wonderful, so what more can you ask for?" agreed Grille operator Paul Sachs '84.

Figueron said he originally thought of organizing the club while whistling a Linda Rondstadt tune in the grille. Listening to the sound resound off the walls, Figueroa said he thought. "Damn, this would be a great place for a jazz club."

He added that the club was intended "to provide an atmosphere for performers on campus where they can come and do their thing," and also to give students something to do on Friday nights.

Performers said yesterday they appreciate the chance to strut their stuff in a nightclub atmosphere. Graeme Boone, who played guitar at the club Friday night, said, "I think the campus really needs a place like this."

Figueroa says he hopes Cookin' at the Grille will attract students from the River Houses as well as the Quad.

Right now, the nightclub is not an official College organization-- Figueroa says he has been paying the expenses out of his pocket--but its manager says he hopes to get official recognition to the Grille can receive grants next year.