Track: Women Take GBC's; Men Third

Tracksters Triumph in Relay Jarelin

Battered, tired and outmanned, the Harvard men's track team limped to a third-place finish behind Boston University and Northeastern yesterday at Soldiers Field.

"The must went just as I thought it would," said Coach Frank Haggerty.

The team's performance suffered because several key runners were injured.

Many of the others did not compute yesterday because they had just run the Penn Relays on Saturday.

Haggerty said the tracksters had performed "reasonably well" at Penn and he was happy. The 1600m relay recorded its best time of the year.

The 1600m relay was also the high-point of yesterday's race as Harvard's Brad Bunney, Bill Pate, John Perkins and Terry Denson '87, broke ahead of Boston University to win in 22.56 seconds.

Although the time yesterday was not what it was at Penn, Captain Brad Bunney said it was a "spectacular" victory for a "team thrown together from the people who ran at Penn."

Denson is a sprinter who had never run the relay before, but he anchored the team in 50.4 seconds.

Tom Schuler threw the hammer 163-ft., 8-in., to place fifth.

In the 800m, Rich Mullane's best-ever 1:53.2 was also good for fifth-place.

In the javelin Joe Bowen and freshman Jonathan Diario each threw over 180-ft to earn first and second. Men's Track Northeastern  118 Boston University  89.5 HARVARD  55.5 Boston College  22 MIT  17 Brandeis  11 Tufts  6