Miller Named to K-School Post

Velvet G Miller, currently a student at the Kennedy School of Government, will replace Susan Himmelfarb as associate director of the Kennedy School's Lucius N. Miller Mid-Career Master of Public Administration program, Harvard officials announced this week.

Miller, who will receive a master's degree in public administration next month, will work under Assistant Dean and Director of the MPA program Mary Jane England to recruit students to the program, a nine-month course of study for professionals working in public policy areas.

"She is a mature, competent woman in her own field," said England of Miller, "and her inside knowledge of the program and her belief in its potential will make her a very effective advocate."

As associate director of the program, Miller will be the primary contact for recruiting prospective applicants and will serve on the admissions committee. She said she is "looking to bring people of non-traditional backgrounds--especially in terms of color and gender--into the making of public policy."

Miller, a nurse, enrolled at the K-School after four years as associate director of Scottsdale (Arizona) Memorial Hospital's nursing division. She has published articles, on Black American child-rearing practices, sickle cell anemia, and the academic hiring and tenure process.