Bergmann: Rookie of Year

Men's Lacrosse

Freshman goaltender Mike Bergmann, who didn't emerge as the Harvard men's lacrosse team's starting goalie until almost midway through the season, has been named the 1984 Ivy League men's lacrosse Rookie of the Year.

Bergmann was also named to the All-Ivy honorable mention team, while teammate Rob Hawley garnered first team All-Ivy honors. Harvard senior defender Rob Sherlock was named to the second team.

That trio was an integral part of the Crimson squad that recovered from a poor early-season start to record an 8-6 overall mark, a 3-3 Ivy record and a second-place ranking in New England.

Bergmann, who split time with two other goalies for much of the squad's first six games, emerged as the Crimson's top goalie just as the team went on a late-season tear that included six victories in its last eight games and three victories in its last three Ivy games.

The Buffalo, N.Y. native started all six Ivy games and recorded a .611 save percentage in 346 minutes of action. He is the second Harvard player to be named the Ivy Rookie of the Year: Steve Bartenfelder garnered the honor in 1982.

Penn, which won its first outright Ivy League championship ever this spring, had four first team All-Ivy selections, while Cornell had two and Brown. Princeton Yale and Harvard had one apiece. The league all-stars were selected by a vote of the seven head coaches.

In other men's lacrosse news, Harvard attackman Chris Pojols was named last week's Ivy League Player of the Week for his four-goal, one-assist performance in last week's season-ending, 12-11, victory over Dartmouth.

The East Northport, N.Y. native scored the game-winning goal with 2 18 remaining to ensure the Crimson win over the Big Green.