Greenidge Moves on to Pro Football

Harvard Sports Info Director to Publicize Pats

By Mike Knobler

Regardless of how he fares at rookie camp, one Harvard man has recently snagged a Nation Football League job.

Two years after coming to Harvard, Director of Sports Information James E. Greenidge will take the reins as the New England Patriots' director of publicity on May 14.

"It was a tough decision to leave Harvard," Greenidge said yesterday. The Athletic Department's highest-ranking Black, Greenidge added that he turned down the Patriots' offer at first, then changed his mind. "This is an opportunity that may never come my way again," the native Cantabrigian explained. "Harvard's a special place, but I've got to try it."

The biggest difference between Greenidge's present and future positions is one of scale. Instead of dealing with 40 varsity teams craving press coverage from the largely uninterested Boston media, Greenidge will handle one team and about 50 players and coaches.

"I'll know just about everything about them," Greenidge said. "Media people tell me it'll be an easier position. People will call me."

The Patriots asked the Harvard Athletic Department for permission to talk with Greenidge, he said. His three-year contract with New England includes an insured car and a substantial increase in pay, said the director, who has another year left on his Harvard contract.

"I'll be making the kind of money it would take me years to make here," Greenidge said. But he added that financial considerations were not the deciding factor. "I'm not leaving here for money.

"This [the Patriots job] is the number two p.r. [public relations] position in New England sports. I told Harvard [two years ago] this was my ultimate goal," Greenidge said.

"He thought a hell of a lot about Harvard," said Globe sportswriter Bob Monshan, who has covered Crimson hockey and football. "He always ran a very well-machined press box. Harvard is losing one hell of a man."

Greenidge replaces Tom Hoffman, who will move up to the Patriots' marketing and sales departments. Greenidge and Harvard Director of Athletics John P. Reardon Jr. '60 met last night to begin discussing the selection of Greenidge's replacement.

What will he do in his last week at Harvard? Said Greenidge. "I want to see every tennis match; I want to see every baseball game..."