Go Govoni

STATE SENATE RACE

IF YOU'RE not yet acquainted with the Massachusetts Legislature, welcome to the world of blatant patronage, leadership hegemony, legislative "feeding frenzies," and punishment for representatives and senators who do not obey their leaders.

In few other political bodies in countries does the process of legislation less resemble the Democratic process, and in few other political bodies is the term 'representative' more devoid of meaning. The sorry state of affairs on Beacon Hill is attributable to the almost monarchial power of Senate President William M. Bulger (D-Boston) and Speaker of the House Thomas W. McGee (D-Lynn), who until now have dispensed patronage and dictated legislation to subservient rank-and-file representatives and senators.

The process has been efficient, to say the least, but Bulger and McGee have subverted public accountability by forcing legislators to be accountable to them rather than to their constituents. Senators who oppose Bulger are generally given smaller offices, budgets, and salaries, and are denied important committee posts and fundings for projects in their home districts.

Luckily, this draconian system is beginning to crumble. Something akin to a political revolt has erupted in the House, where a former Mcgee ally is challenging him for the House Speakership in January and may actually succeed. McGee has already softened his leadership style, agreed to some rules reforms, and opened up the debate--a move that resulted in an unprecedented five-week debate over the budget, rather than the usual rubber stamp of the leadership proposal.

These changes are bound to have an effect in the Senate, and you will be able to spur them along by supporting Mark Govoni September 18 in his primary fight against Michael LoPresti, Jr. '70 for the Suffolk and Middlesex state senate seat. LoPresti has represented a district that includes East Boston, Winthrop, and part of Cambridge (which includes Harvard) for more than a decade, and he has become symptomatic of problems in the senate.

Heir to his father's seat in this district. LoPresti has too easily succumbed to the comforts of friendship with the leadership. He has used his more than five terms to move up the senate ladder to Judiciary Chair--the third ranking Democratic post--while gradually losing touch with his constituency.

GOVONI, a union organizer for six years, has centered his surprisingly successful challenge on the issue of cleaning up the state legislature. He quite correctly argues that the issue is quite simple: do we want a closed, patronage system, or a legislature that functions like a normal open democratic body? LoPresti has recently said that he too supports rules reform, and has argued that the issue is not black-and-white, but rather a matter of what sorts of reforms should be made.

Yet, LoPresti has consistently opposed changes to the existing system, which allows Bulger to kill any bill he opposes, to appoint all committee chairmen, to hold all-night meetings in which dubious laws are passed, and to punish senators who are not loyal.

Why would replacing LoPresti with Govoni make a difference? Govoni is one of several rules reform candidates around the state running for spots in the Senate. Sen. George Bachrach (D-Watertown), who is challenging Bulger for the Senate Presidency in January, estimates that if the reform candidates are successful, as many as 17 senators out of 40 will openly support rules changes. This may be overly optimistic, but electing Govoni and other reformers will be an important step in wresting control of the senate from the likes Bulger and LoPresti.

Govoni, who is making his first bid for public office, would be an impressive addition to a senate dearly lacking in effective, reform-minded legislators. As a veteran of the Boston progressive movement, Govoni will be a strong advocate for worker's rights Cambridge and has taken a lead role in the right to eliminate disparity in pay between men and women in state employment.

Govoni will add another voice to the struggle to maintain social programs despite cuts in Federal aid, to preserve the environment in the face of industrial expansion, and to work to abolish discrimination in the state.

But a vote for Mark Govoni will do more than give a step-up to another politician making his entree on the state political scene. Electing Govoni will be an important step towards recreating a legislature that does what it's supposed to do: legislate.