Computer Network Is Planned

By Christopher J. Georgrs

After almost a year of reviewing various options, the University has decided to install a computer network system linking several departments around campus, administrators said yesterday.

The system, which will cost several hundred thousand dollars, will serve primarily administrative and scientific purposes. Students will not be allowed access to the network.

Administrators, however, said that the "pilot" network will help them plan a strategy for a larger, more comprehensive system possibly open to students.

"This is the centerpiece. It's a backbone network that both scientists and administrators can use for communications," said Paul C. Martin '52, dean of the Division of Applied Scinces.

Eventually, each of the College's academic departments will have its own computer hook up but initially only a few departments will be connected. Adminstrators said they do not know which departments will be selected first.

The primary functions of the system will include keeping student records, high quality word processing, budget data, departmental records, and simplifying communications among departments.

For example, if a department wanted to make a purchase order, it would simple enter into the system what ut needed, and send the data to the proper location. Currently, to make a purchase, the order must pass through several hands.

"We'll be eliminating a lot of the duplication that goes on," said Lewis A. Law, director of computer operations for the Faculty.

Equipment is currently on order, and workers will begin installing the system over the next few months, Law added.

Big Blue

The network will employ a new high-powered computer made by IBM, which also assisted in developing the plan for the network sytem.

"We looked at a few proposals, and we took this one since it will allow, each department to stand alone, and at the same time all the machines will be connected by network," Law said. The sytem will also be linked up with the Office for Information Technology (OIT.)

Current Faculty use of computers is estimated to be very high. Reports show that approximately 50 percent of professors say they use word processors and computers.

As far as opening up the system to students, administration said they are still considering various options, but declined to comment on when such a decision would be made.

"We'll continue along the same chaotic lines for now. We're not going to decide on a standard computer for students and we will not decide that everyone but a computer," Martin told the Faculty at its last general meeting. "We expect to continue to provide equiptment and software that is compatible with different computers at low prices.