Marius Gives Writing Tips

Short Takes

If you're not sure whether you have the right stuff for becoming an A-English student, a New York Times journalist or just a competent writer, the director of Expository Writing may be able to assuage some of your anxieties.

Richard C. Marlus, director of Expository Writing, is offering a ten-week lecture series this fall on writing. He said the first-time series is designed to be "a place where people can meet, hear about writing, and then go back and do their own writing."

Lecture topics range from choosing the proper subject matter to the right word, and will be offered every Monday afternoon at 4 p.m. through December 9.

Insisting that the lecture series was not a requirement for either Expos teachers or students, Marius said the forum allows people to come talk with the group, and then get up and leave if they want.

Miguel A. Herrera '89, who has attended two out of the three lectures offered, said, "I've been going because [Marius] presents writing in a way that it's never been presented to me before. He talks about bringing yourself and your own thoughts into your writing."

"The advice is practical, not anything undefined or vague." said Doina Contescu '89, a resident of Wigglesworth Hall.

According to Marius, the audience is composed of a variety of people, "from Harvard freshman to people in the town." About six Expos teachers go to every lecture.

If people continue to show interest in the lectures, Marius said that he may offer another lecture series in the spring.