Netmen Claim ECAC For 2nd Straight Year

Playing in its most important tournament of the year thus far, the Harvard men's tennis team won the East Coast Athletic College (ECAC) Championship this weekend at Princeton.

Outdistancing the hosts 112-92, the netmen grabbed the ECAC title for the second consecutive year.

Columbia was third with 73 points, followed by Brown (49) and Temple (48).

Following the trend established at the New England Championships two weeks ago, the Crimson's strength came in the doubles draw, where Harvard swept the three division.

The Harvard "A" doubles team of Co-Captain Larry Scott and Arkie Engle rolled to a 7-6 (10-8), 6-2 victory over Columbia's Matt Litsky and Howard Endlemenn in the finals of their division.

Peter Palandjian and Darryl Laddin took the "B" division, 6-3, 6-2, and Paul Palandjian and Stanley took the "C" finals in straight sets.

In comparison to its deadly doubles display, the Crimson's singles performance was rather mediocre.

Harvard could manage only two runner-ups in singles, with Peter Palandjian and Engle losing in the finals of their divisions.

Palandjian was beaten by Princeton's Tim Main in the "B" finals, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4). Meanwhile, Engle lost a tough, three-set match in the "C" finals.