New Dean Appointed to Sexual Harassment Post

By Victoria G.T. Bassetti

Lowell House Assistant Senior Tutor Ellen Porter Honnet has been named the College's new administrator to deal with sexual harassment complaints.

Honnet will keep her current job while serving as interim assistant dean of the College for coeducation. The appointment follows the departure of Marlyn M. Lewis '70 this fall for a position in the office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Search

The College will soon begin a search for someone to fill the post permanently, said Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, adding that he hoped Honnet would apply for the permanent post. Jewett said he hoped to find a permanent assistant dean by the end of this spring, and Honnet said she may apply for the post.

"I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't think it was absolutely crucial. We have to do some serious thinking, now that we've reached this plateau--where do we go from here?" said Honnet.

Honnet said that among the sexual harassment issues she will look into are increased educational efforts on campus, peer harassment issues and adminstration of the University's procedures.

"I don't think anyone will come to me thinking I'm cold and formal. Developing a sense of trust is very important to me," she said.

Honnet said she has been actively involved in sexual harrassment issues. She was an original faculty sponsor and supervisor since 1982 of Response, a Lowell-based student peer counseling service for victims of rape and sexual harrassment. She has also been active in Eating Problems Outreach, a program for women with eating disorders.