Reps, Dems Plan Lots of Events

Short Takes

A first-ever jointly sponsored forum on Soviet violations of human rights in Afghanistan will usher in the new season of activities of Harvard's Democratic and Republican clubs.

The October 21 panel discussion will feature Sen. Gordon Humphries (R-N.H.), Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.), and Kurt Lohbeck, a freelance film-maker for CBS News who will show footage of conditions in the war-torn country.

The Republicans plan to bring National Review Publisher William Rusher, Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Hanniford Dole, and Rep. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.) to speak on campus, according to club President Mark P. Lagon '86.

The Democrats are planning forums on poverty in America, the lack of women in politics, and South Africa, said club president Adam J. Augustynski '86.

Both clubs also publish bi-monthly newsletters. The Republican Club sends copies to members only, while the Democratic Club delivers its publication to every door on campus.

The Democratic Club has compiled a mailing list of 300 students--triple last year's total--including 50 dues-paying members. The Republican Club, which counted 200 members at the end of last year, now has 100 subscribers. Membership in the two clubs generally increases throughout the year, the club leaders said.

In other club news, six Democratic Club members this week received $100 tickets to Gov. Michael S. Dukakis's birthday party gratis in exchange for a couple of hours phone calls to potential patrons.

The celebration of Dukakis's 52nd birthday on November 3 is expected to draw 1000 guests. The event will kick off his re-election campaign, said campaign spokesman Kim Manolius.

Dukakis, a Harvard Law School alumnus and former lecturer at the Kennedy School of Government, "is close to the Harvard community, so it's not surprising that they're working for him," said birthday party coordinator Marie Champion.

"The governor has been a very good friend of the Democratic Club at Harvard, which has visited him every year at the State House," said Augustynski