CONTACT Not Just for Gays

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing to correct a reference to CONTACT in The Crimson on October 24, 1985, which described us as a "gay crisis phoneline" in the context of describing GLSA's [Gay and Lesbian Students' Association's] goals for the year. While CONTACT is a peer counseling hotline that primarily addresses issues of sexual orientation, we do not limit our counseling to members of the gay community or even to students who are questioning their sexual identity. CONTACT is also concerned with providing information and promoting mutual understanding on issues relating to sexual orientation for all members of the Harvard community whether they label themselves gay, or straight, or not at all. Referring to us as a "gay crisis hotline" severely distorts our identity and our aims.

As for our connection with GLSA, we are an entirely separate organization and are affiliated with UHS like all of the other peer counseling hotlines on campus (Room 13, Eating Problems Outreach, Peer Contraceptive Counseling, and Response). While we share some common concerns with GLSA, it it important to clarify that we are not a gay students' organization: many of our counselors are gay, but we do not select counselors on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Since we are a new organization (began last spring), it is understandable that our position is not well-known in the greater community. But it is vital, especially this early, that the community realizes that we are here to listen to all Harvard students. Christopher Cannon '86   George Hanna'87   Co-directors, CONTACT