University To Raise $20M for Engineers

By Joseph F Kahn

Harvard has begun a drive to raise up to $20 million to invigorate its program in electrical engineering, a field which officials say has long been neglected at the University despite its increasing importance.

The officials said the funds should allow both the construction of research laboratories and the endowment of as many as five new professorships in the field over a period of about five years.

Electrical engineering--the study and development of high technology relating to computers and communications equipment--is currently offered as a small program for some 80 students within the Division of Applied Sciences.

But the engineering science, closely related to physics and computer science, is considered a key to successful innovation in everything from robotics to satellites, and officials said Harvard cannot afford to downplay the science any longer.

Although Harvard has played a major role in constructing the foundations for engineering technology over the past 30 years, it has not kept abreast of work done at other major universities and in the private sector, professors said. They added that as a result, students presently cannot receive adequate exposure to the field at this University.

The fund drive and a concurrent reorganization of the field, formally called electrical computer and systems engineering, has not been formally announced. It comes, however, as the latest step in a multiyear effort to bolster the entire Applied Sciences division.

In addition, Harvard has spent millions of dollars in recent years to upgrade its facilities in biology, chemistry and material physics.

Not a Good Idea

"If you compare what is going on in the world and what is happening here, it is clear that this area is underdeveloped. It's the result of past choices, and it's just not a good idea," said Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences A. Michael Spence.

"It would not be wise to go for the next 30 years without offering interesting opportunities in these areas. I would be worried if we had to explain to students 'you can get this type of education and exposure at other places, but you won't get it here,"' Spence said.

"This [fund drive] is a recognition that a large part of everyday life, intellectual problems and activities are under-represented here," said Paul C. Martin '52, dean of the Division of Applied Sciences.

Spence said raising funds for electrical engineering "have now become a priority" for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and, according to officials, he emphasized the need for a new program at a recent fundraising dinner.

President Derek C. Bok, a member of the seven-man governing Corporation which would will have to approve any such fund drive, said he thinks the Corporation will be receptive to Spence's effort.

"For historical reasons connected with our proximity to MIT, we have not had this type of [program] in scope," Bok said. "But some developments in the field, including the intellectual challenge, have assumed sufficient importance that we ought to start doing something" with electrical engineering, he said.

Down Memorial Drive, MIT has some 130 faculty members in electrical engineering and has already purchased or arranged use of much of the necessary equipment. Officials said Harvard has no intention of directly competing with such large operations, but they said this demonstrates how far ahead some other universities have advanced.

Professors said this week that the strengthening of electrical engineering will be similar to efforts about five years ago to cast Harvard into computer science, an area previously considered unworthy of the University's devotion.

"If 20 years ago I said we should have a department in computer science, [the administration] would have said 'why not have a department in automotive technology as well,"' said McKay Professor of Computer Science Harry R. Lewis '68, who was largely credited with bringing computer science into mainstream academia at Harvard.

"We have since recognized the intellectual integrity of such fields," he said.

Neither computer science nor electrical engineering constitute departments in themselves, but undergraduates and graduates can concentrate in the areas.

Martin said the re-organization effort has two components. Harvard will have to build and purchase equipment for expensive research laboratories, and compete with other universities and eager industries to attract qualified faculty.

He said that in the area of equipment, "it's a question of degree. We are not bereft of equipment, but we certainly need to extend what we have."

Martin said faculty appointments will present a challenge because of intense competition, but added that Harvard's program should be sufficiently attractive to lure some experts.

Eventually, some 15 senior and junior faculty, some brought from other areas of applied science at Harvard, will be associated with electrical engineering, according to Wallace Professor of Applied Physics R. Victor Jones.

In addition to procurement and recruitment, professors in the field said they have established a five-part core program for concentrators. But they said that graduate programs are still very limited, and will have to be gradually expanded as equipment and number of faculty warrant.

The field is also connected with other academic areas, including material physics, computer hardware, economics, psychology and business programs and will be developed to accomodate those interests, said Jones