Sailors Fall at Atlantics; Men, Women Disappoint

By Eugenia Balodimas

The Harvard-Radcliffe sailing team had a disappointing weekend at the Atlantic Coast Championships, the last sailing event before spring season.

Sailing in Flying Juniors, the women's varsity team placed sixth out of twelve schools. The men's squad, which sailed the same boats, finished ninth in a field of 16.

With a total of 193 points the men's varsity team sailed well behind first place Navy and second place Boston University in the New London, Conn. regatta

The six best collegiate teams from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, along with the top two from the South-Atlantic, participated at Coast Guard. The Crimson's second-place finish in the Schell Trophy three weeks ago qualified it for the event.

Sophomore skipper Gordon Burnes and crew Petra Schumann placed first in the opening A-Division race. However, after the fast start, the Crimson lagged behind the other teams.

"The team hasn't sailed a lot at Coast Guard and we don't sail much in Flying Juniors," said Harvard-Radcliffe Coach Mike Horn. "This could have easily affected our results."

The women sailed at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., and scored 152 points.

"It was intense sailing," said junior Dana Barron, and A-Division crew. "There was a strong current in the Elizabeth River, and we're not used to sailing Flying Juniors."