Government Committee Identifies Dept. Problems

By Laura S. Kohl

Members of a student-faculty committee yesterday leveled criticism at the Government Department, citing problems with its introductory course requirements, thesis planning, and honors standards.

At its first meeting this fall, the Student-Faculty Advisory Committee, established last Spring by Department Chairman Robert D. Putnam and Head Tutor Mark Beissinger, slated each of those issues for discussion this year.

The committee, which convenes every three weeks, includes Putnam, Beissinger, and a Government concentrator from each of the twelve houses.

"I wouldn't characterize any of these as crises. The government department is in very good shape," Putnam said. "But obviously, in any big department, it's important for us to get a clear understanding of what students' interests are."

In response to student recommendations offered last spring, the department assigned Government advisors to sophomore concentrators for the first time this year and nearly doubled the number of junior seminars offered by professors.

Student members of the committee said they believe Putnam is sincerely interested in making improvements.

"I'm really pleased--they really listen to us closely. Putnam and Beissinger really want to know what we think," said Kevin C. McMahon '87 of Kirkland House.

Yesterday, however, the students called for improvements on three other fronts.

Committee members said the department offers too few bypass options for two introductory level courses: Government 20, "Introduction to Comparative Government," and Government 30, "Introduction to American Government."

Government concentrators are required to take introductory courses in four general areas, but they are allowed to "bypass" two courses of their choice, opting for designated higher level courses.

"There's a great need for broad introductory courses at a more advanced level," said Leverett House representative Michael N. Gooen '87. Students should be allowed to bypass the introductory courses in all four categories, Gooen said.

The bypass question was raised last spring, Putnam said, but it was too late to implement any solution for this academic year. "It's one of the things at the top of this fall's agenda," said Putnam.

On a second point, thesis planning should simply start earlier, Mather representative Adam N. Saravay '86 said. Many summer research grant deadlines are in March, but thesis advising meetings do not begin until April of the concentrator's junior year, Saravay said.

On a third point of contention, students criticized the Government Department's formula for determining honors distinctions.

The department requires concentrators to take a total of four courses in two of four related fields. But the department also counts any additional courses students take in those fields toward the determination of Government honors.

"The major problem is people don't know this," said Saravay. "Then there's the question of whether it should count at all."

"We want only the minimum requirements to count. People should count their best courses," said Gooen