Russia Is Not Socialist, Radical Tells Socialists

Short Takes

There is no Marxist socialism in Russia, a radical lecturer told a small audience last night at Lamont Library.

Brian J. Kelly, a member of the International Socialist Organization (ISO) said that Stalinist policies have exploited the working class in the Soviet Union, which defeats the purpose of socialism. He also called for the overthrow of U.S. capitalism.

"Stalin came around and said that we have to rely on ourselves," said Kelly at the third meeting of the Harvard/Radcliffe Socialist Forum. "This meant that the working class had to be exploited."

But not everyone in the small crowd agreed with Kelly's interpretation. His viewpoint was contested by three members of the Spartacus Youth League, who used the question-and-answer period to attack the ISO's position on Russian ideologies and the solidarity movement in Poland.

The Spartacists in attendance argued for what they call Russian socialist accomplishments. "The basic difference is that we defend the gains of the Russian revolution, and the ISO doesn't," said Spart Thomas N. Crean '86.

Tension between the two radical groups mounted both before and after Kelly's speech, entitled "What is socialism?"

The Sparts were not permited to enter the lecture room at first because they arrived one minute after the lecture began. But after they banged on the door, they were allowed into the room.

After the adjournment of the meeting the Spartacists followed Kelly outside the room to continue the debate, which became a series of yells and shouts.

"They do nothing constructive; their main function is to try to split meetings," Kelly said afterwards.