Cadets Run Wild

Army Fells Men's, Women's Track

Both the men's and women's track teams were frustrated in their efforts to open the indoor track season with victories last night at the ITT, as two talented Army squads dealt the Crimson a pair of defeats.

The Cadets gunned down the women, 77-40, and marched to an 82-54 decision over the men.

But despite the losses, several Harvard runners turned in outstanding individual performances, qualifying them for later championship meets.

For the women, Lois Brommer ran the 5000 meters in 17:14 flat to qualify for the ECACs. Also meeting ECAC standards were Jenny Stricker (9:25.2), just shy of the national qualifying time, and Kristin Perini (9:34.6) at 3000 meters.

Freshman Jody Dushay just missed the ECAC cutoff in the 5000, finishing second behind Brommer in 17:25.

Erin Sugrue was a dual winner for the Crimson, clearing 5-ft., 6-in. in the high jump, and running the 55-meter hurdles in 8.5 seconds.

And in the 1500 meter run, Harvard nabbed a one-two sweep with Leslie Cooper clocking in first at 4:37.56 and Katie Toner close behind in 4:40.95.

"Army is usually strong early in the season," Assistant Coach Ed Sheehan said. "We're definitely proud of ourselves."

IC4A Qualifiers

For the men, Captain Doug Boyd led the charge with a 6-ft., 11-in. high jump, qualifying himself for the IC4As.

Other individual standouts for the Crimson were Paul Kent, who ran the 1500 meters in 3:47.50, and freshman Mark Foley, who finished third behind Kent in 3:51.24. Both met IC4A standards.

Harvard posted a sweep at 500 meters, with Tom Quinn (67:08), Paul Hayward (67:36) and John Zurasky (67:47) finishing one, two, three resepectively.

Another outstanding performance was turned in by Yarding Brian Cann, who placed second in the 3000 meters with a time of 8:30.06.

"We lost much more significantly last year, and then went on to win the indoor Heptagonals," Sheehan said. "We're well ahead of last year's pace."

Both squads next see action Wednesday, when they will host Boston College.